Sometimes over the holidays, the only way to end the day is to keep the head down (avoid eye contact,) and go straight home, no takeout, no supermarket.
For those occasions, there is Avoidance Alfredo.It is low fat, fast, and you probably have all the ingredient in your closet.
I concocted the name "Avoidance Alfredo," for ease of reference, but not the recipe, which I discovered on food.com
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk ( skim may be used, but creates a thinner sauce)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 dash pepper (moi used cayenne)
- The key here is patience, add all ingredients gradually!
- Melt butter in sauce pan on stove top with medium heat.
- Gradually whisk in flour.
- This will create a yellow paste.
- Gradually add milk, whisking until incorporated and no lumps are present.
- Continue to whisk until hot.
- Usually 3-5 minutes.
- The longer you cook the base (without the cheese) the thicker the sauce will be.
- Add parmesan slowly, again whisking until incorporated.
- Add crushed garlic and pepper.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat.